The following information has been extracted from Newcourt's Repertorium Vols 1 and 2. and The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham Vol 3.
John Berton was instituted as Rector of St Nicholas', Rawreth in Essex on 20 July 1393. Some seven years later, on 30 October 1400, he was collated Rector of St Mary's, Fairtsed also in Essex.
In 1401 John exchanged the Rectory of Fairsted for that of Thorley, where he was instituted on 18 April of that year.
According to the History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, John then exchanged the Rectory of Thorley for that of St Mary's, Hitcham in Buckinghamshire where he was instituted on 2 June 1405, and the following year exchanged that Rectory for that of Rowbarrow in Somerset.
However, there is no record of John Akerman, his predecessor at St Mary's, being collated to the Rectory of Thorley.
Return to St James' Rectors